Friday 23 August 2013

A Great Speech


"I know people die. People die in front of us every day. But Meredith will survive this. I believe - I - I believe in the good. I believe that it's been a hell of a year, and I believe that in the face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary, we'll all be okay. I believe a lot of things. I believe that - I believe that Denny is always with me. And I believe that if I eat a tub of butter and no one sees me, then calories don't count. And I believe that surgeons who prefer staples over stitches are just lazy ... And I believe that you are a man who made a terrible mistake marrying Callie. And I believe that because I am your best friend, I can tell you this and we can be okay. I believe that even though you made this mistake, you will be okay. I believe we survive, George. I believe that believing we survive is what makes us survive."

I love this speech. It's from my favourite TV show 'Grey's Anatomy' and speaks volumes by such simple words and simple things. Simple is something I have neglected in my writing. Melodrama is something my past self loved. Simple is far crueler. 

Imagine the scene: A woman and her husband are together for twenty years. Then they break up. The melodramatic reason is that the husband has started a cycle of affairs and has fallen madly in love with one of them. He says he loves his wife but he loves this woman and doesn't recognize himself and must leave and clear his head. Tragic, yes. 

Imagine this: A woman and her husband are together for twenty years. Then they break up. The husband says "I just don't have feelings for you anymore." And that's that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment