Friday 5 April 2013

My Favourite Books and Why

When I'm bored in work I usually ask the people I work with questions. One question I'm always apprehensive about asking - for fear of the 'I don't ready' answer - is what's your favourite book. Favourite books change, of course they do, for any constant reader you will discover new and powerful books. So, with that thought, I am aware a long time ago - for the dedicated blog fan, I'm sure you are out there - I am aware I did a my favourite books list but here's a new one, some old favourites but new additions. 

1. The Road, Cormac McCarthy -  When I first read this book, I hated it. I thought it was boring and the whole no speech marks thing was not something I was comfortable with. But recently I was writing an essay on Raymond Carver's 'The Ducks' and comparing it to The Road and saw its sheer brilliance. The way McCarthy strings sentences together, the brutality, the honesty, it was all there, I just missed it. 

2. Lord of the Flies, William Golding - This is an old favourite. Everyone I mention this book to either says they love it or they hate it - the majority of the haters, it's interesting to note, were forced to read this book at school and I, having been forced to read Of Mice and Men understand that hatred. I own four copies of this book - yes, I'm a nerd - but I love it. It's poetic and tragic. And, it inspired me to write my short story The Broken Fly which was published in this years edition of Daps.

3. Little Children, Tom Perrotta - Perrotta is the kind of telling writer I love. I hate myself for having watched the film Little Children before I read the book but the book was so much better. Spectacular even. 

4. The Child Thief, Brom - I was obsessed with fantasy when I was a kid and I think I kind of grew out of it - not saying that you have to be young or immature to love fantasy. But that love did stay a little and this is why I admire Brom. The Child Thief is his best yet, his latest novel is on order. 

5. The Works of Raymond Carver, Raymond Carver - Carver is just a genius with short stories. I've learnt a lot from reading his work. His style seems easy, almost lazy, but there is so much more to what's on the page. 

6. Collected Love Poems, Brian Patten - This is a new addition to the list. I bought this book on a whim, not really liking poetry but finding it bearable. I always found poetry a bit 'wishy-washy' as my mother would say, it just didn't do anything for me, move me even, until I read Patten's work. These poems are the best poems I have ever read just for their complete honesty about relationships and love. Don't be fooled by the title, some of these stories are not about happy love. 

7. The End of Mr. Y, Scarlett Thomas - An old favourite. I read this book the same time I read The Raw Shark Texts so I kind of associate the two. What I love most about this book is its first half where Ariel discovers the book and is doing her PhD. It makes me want to read and write and do a PhD. 

8. The Red Tree, Shaun Tan - I don't know how I found this book but I'm glad I did. Tan is the honest voice for children everywhere. And, what's even better, it works for adults too. 

9. Wuthering Heights, Emily Bronte - I left this one until the end because its a book that I discovered in my second year of University and immediately fell in love with it - ironic that I fell in love with a book which is about a love that will never work. Heatchliff and Cathy crop into my every day life, into my own work and my own idea of what work should be. Gotta love Bronte. 

10. Revolutionary Road, Richard Yates - Once again, I watched the film before I read the book and I hate myself for it because Yates is one of my favourite writers. Poetic and yet tragic. You will be torn between who you favor, who you hate, April or Frank. I will always be an April fan. 

No comments:

Post a Comment