Monday 22 April 2013

Elevators: The Most Awkward Encounters

I stood in an elevator today, or, as some people call them, lifts. Anyway, whatever we want to call them, I was in one today. I pushed the button, watched the doors open, stepped in and allowed it to take me to the correct floor. Then, the doors opened and two people staggered in - a couple, of course it was a couple - and they clicked the button, stood together and waited to be taken to the correct floor. And the three of us did the ordinary things - we stood in silence, averted our eyes, our insides clenching. Occasionally, they whispered to one another - they wouldn't speak loud in such a confined space. I looked up, wishing to god that the whole experience would be over. We hit floor 4. Not mine. Not theirs. But another person came in as the doors opened. Another person who clicked the button and stood in silence, staring at their shoes, counting the minutes for when they would reach their destination. 

As I said, awkward. 

No comments:

Post a Comment