Tuesday 26 March 2013

Things I Hate

Every writer is a human. So, it stands to reason that every writer/human has things they love and things they hate. Today I went to Bath Spa University to have an interview for a potential Masters course I will be starting in September. Certain things reminded me of the things I hate so, here's a little list.

1. People that are walking in front of me really slow.

2. People that are walking in front of me and have no idea what is going on around them - usually they stop or point out something they like to their friend.


3. People who walk down the street in groups and take up the entire pavement. Either I'm behind them and have to walk on the road to get around them, giving them a "yes, I'm walking on the road because you," glance back or those that walk ahead and don't move, causing me to stop and look at them as they pass.


(In case you didn't guess, I don't drive, I walk.) 


(I found these photos on Alexander Seedman's blog - http://postbromanticism.tumblr.com/ - it's amazing, check it out but I also found these photos which I thought suited my short rant about walking quite well.)


4. The word "stink", most importantly people that use it. Nothing worse than a friend sitting down, taking off their shoes and saying "my feet stink" - we know, we can smell them!

5. Lateness. People who are late, people who make me late and all the bits in-between. The other morning my roommate decided to take ten extra minutes getting ready. It fucked up the rest of the day.

6. Mayonnaise, butter and possibly all condiments - yes, I know, I'm a freak.

7. Cheese. How have I lived? A cheeseless life.

8. The Catcher in the Rye. I had to mention at least one book.

9. Russell Brand. I really don't like him.

10. Cracking bones. One of my friends, Suller, cracks his fingers all the time. I remember being in high school and hear the long slow craaaaaaaaaaaaaaack, then crack-crack-crack, there is nothing worse.

11. Crazy religious people - not because they're religious, just because they don't listen.

12. Biros - I'm much more a inky pen kinda guy. 

13. Most animals. (OK, I do love a good dog and I appreciate cats just because they're so sinister) but when I enter a house with a pet I'm not the first to go and touch it, mainly because I'm not sure if it's going to bite me or not. I do loathe furry animals (rabbits, hamsters), they shit everywhere.

14. Public banisters. I do it. I put my hand out and I touch it. Guide myself up the staircase to the train station or up the escalator but then I tug my hand away and remember someone else has touched this and where the fuck have their hands been?

15. Sambuca. It's not nice. It's what evil tastes like. 

16. Clowns. There are the scariest mother-fucking things out there.

17. Oh and while we're talking about scary things - spiders! Hate the bastards. Especially that myth about the one running wild around Cathays. 

18. The name Jayden. Sorry all you Jayden's out there. I won't be naming my kid after you.

19. And finally, small talk. Not the kind of small talk you have with a friend - even though I avoid that at the best of times - but more the small talk you have with your family at the awkward family reunions. "Oh wow, you've grown!" Yes, because you haven't seen me in ten years. "What you doing now?" University, dear aunt, I've said this ten times already. "Got a girlfriend yet?" That question doesn't even deserve a response. 


My roommates call me a grumpy bastard. I'm not. I just don't smile very much. 

No comments:

Post a Comment