Tuesday 26 March 2013

Inside The Mind

Stephen King said he never keeps a notebook. He said a notebook is a good way of immortalizing bad ideas. I may agree with the latter but I certainly disagree with the first half. Yes, notebooks contain good and bad ideas and I guess, in a way, if you keep jotting down that bad idea you will eventually write a bad story but what happens if you simply forget a good idea? Yeah, sure, we always remember the ideas that excite us but what if we just...forget? 

I've had this idea for a long time and I've probably jotted it down maybe six or seven times in a different format, in the same notebook. Father and son in a boat, something happens, inspired by McCarthy and Hemingway - even though I haven't read him so not sure how it can be inspired by him. Anyway, I love notebooks. When I'm old and crepid and smelling of piss I will have a huge office stacked with my journals and notebooks. Journals and notebooks - like any sort of book really - harbor stories, they make us who we are. I have shit handwriting and not many people will ever understand what my journals say but that's my story, that's my little quality.

I will never stop loving notebooks, and spending my evenings doing what I do best - being a nerd and looking notebooks up online. Here's one of my favourites, by Mr. Guillermo Del Toro. 










No comments:

Post a Comment