Friday 29 March 2013

'For Two': A Rant About Supermarkets

It was yet another day of work and I was hungry. So, naturally, when I finished I went to Sainsburys to fill the empty cupboards. I staggered inside and, armed with basket, started looking, realizing that my bank account would not be very happy at the end of my visit. But as I looked around, I noticed something. 'Chicken for two', 'beef for two', 'dinner for two'. I picked up the ready meals, luxuriously packaged with flowing writing and set them back down. Yes, I could eat that amount to myself but it was for two, the label said so. I turned to my right and saw the ready meals for one - sad little boxes, lasagna resembling tentacles, chicken made with unloving hands. 

It's bad enough that Valentine's day makes the singletons - the 'ones' - want to put a bullet in their head but food is now making it known we should all be in relationships. There's even the packets where you put everything in a bag - the bag indicates its intention to feed more than one mouth. Pretty much, if you're not in a couple or a parent, you're pretty much screwed when you walk into the supermarket. 'Dinner for two' will keep glaring. As you walk out munching on your Walkers crisps, feeling the calories load on to an untouched body. 

No comments:

Post a Comment