Wednesday 26 September 2012

Moby (Don't Be So Goddamn Rude)

Call me Tom. Some years ago - never mind how many - with having zero money in my pocket, I will look back on this night and remember how I listened to beautiful music and was, once again, surrounded by candles. Why, candles? For heat why else!

I was thinking about Moby Dick today - in fact I put a nice edition of it in my Wish List for Amazon (if you ever want to buy me one of the books I'm listed under Thomas Wolfgang Stewart) - and I staggered across some images to do with Moby Dick. I don't want to copyright the site I found them off, I just wanted to paste below my favourites but if you want to see the rest the site is: http://butdoesitfloat.com/To-produce-a-mighty-book-you-must-choose-a-mighty-theme













In fact these images also came from a brilliant art blog which we should all take a look at - http://theartofmemory.blogspot.co.uk/. Moby Dick is one of those books for the continuous classic argument, or, argument of the classics. The continuous debate of are classics books we want to read or just books we want to say we've read? The latter, of course. In my opinion there is no debate. I don't think of 'Moby Dick' and think - yes! I want to read that! - I want to say "yes, I've read it" so I have an opinion on this infamous and apparently brilliant book.

I had this discussion with my tutor a year or two back - in fact it was through a piece of work I did for the class - and she said she found that she learnt more from modern literature than 'classics' - bar 'The Great Gatsby'. To me, 'The Great Gatsby' was a big disappointment for many, many reasons. I wrote a review for Fitzgerald's novel for a website but it got turned down because of some typos and wrongs with the writing.  Tomorrow, I shall post the review. We shall call it the unpublished interview. Sounds better than the rejection interview.

But we, as writers, all get rejected. In life and in writing. 

2 comments:

  1. Wow those images are amazing, I'm going to go check out that blog right now! But I just wanted to say that I hope that you post more because your blog is right up my alley :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Sharanya! I have been very neglectful of the blog recently but I'm working on a journal at University so that will be incorporated into this soon. Keep looking! I'm coming back with a vengeance! :)

    ReplyDelete