Friday 14 September 2012

(500) Days of Winter

So there's this film - one of my favourite films - and it's called (500) Days of Summer. It's about a relationship that doesn't work out. I remember the first time I watched. I was in Hatfield, near London, visiting my friend Hannah at her University. The previous night I had gotten severely drunk and was extremely hungover the next day. To cure my groggy stomach Hannah ordered us two large pizzas and put on the film. I managed to work my way through half of the pizza while watching, in awe, at the wonderful film that flickered before me. I remember the whole thing - the small, compact, University halls room, the way her laptop was propped up on two fans to stop it from over-heating, even the discussion of going for round two on the drinking front which I hastily declined. 

When the film was over I said "wow" and discarded my pizza, for fear of vomiting. The film was real. It told the story of a relationship not working simply because one party was no longer interested. Admittedly I find the main character, Summer, very annoying but I had an argument with my friend about it and he gave me some reasons as to why she isn't the villain - didn't convince me but I understood where he was coming from. 


I've been having some conflicts with the idea for my dissertation novel. Should I stick to a novel I have already written and nursed and loved? A literary horror novel that took me a few months to write and two years to consider? Or should I save that to work along side Cupid's Obsession - whenever I begin that badboy! - and start another idea I had. The latest idea I had is an updated version of Wuthering Heights, inspired by one of my tutors, Tiffany Murray whose book Diamond Star Halo is beautifully written and really captures the essence of nature, she uses phrases like "the Ribena coloured..." showing the naivety of the character but also really - cliche as it sounds - drags you in. The writing really made me want to write like that, such short, powerful, rich sentences. 

Here's to thought! And what triggers it!

No comments:

Post a Comment