Wednesday 16 May 2012

Who We Go Book Shopping With

We, as book lovers, go shopping. We go shopping for books. Sometimes - most of the time - we go shopping alone because we know what we want and we want time with the books in front of us. I go into Waterstones and write down the title of the books I want to get on Amazon because they're so expensive in the shops - bad I know but student budget. But sometimes we go with people and it's who we go with that is interesting. 


I've been with my mother who flutters around the shelves. My mother is the kind of reader that likes books to be given to her, she likes it when people recommend and borrow. I like buying. I've been with friends who have no interest in books and groan when I mention the name of such a shop but by far the most interesting - and perhaps harrowing - person I have ever been with is one of my best friends Anthony who would rather eat a live dog that stay in a room of books. 


We entered and he groaned - of course. But what was most fascinating about this horrific trip was that I wanted to get a book for my mother for mother's day and foolishly asked him for advice. He gripped every book and shouted for me when I was in another isle. Although a book shop isn't a library there's an undertone of how loud you should be. Anthony knows no boundaries and shouted for me, shouted suggestions, full well knowing what other fellow book lovers would think. 


Just a short one, just a short tale of my friend Anthony, a person whom I go book shopping with and the crazy things he gets up to. 

No comments:

Post a Comment