Monday 30 April 2012

Relationships: 'Last Night'

When I started writing I always thought I was going to become a fantasy writer. I think, even now, I have a few fantasy novels still in me but not enough that will define me as a fantasy writer, not as many as Terry Pratchett or Terry Brooks have. I think my writing changes with what is going on in my life. When I was a teenager I was engrossed in fantasy, loved everything about it, new worlds, new creatures - I still love that now - but my head is always in the love-relationship-human emotion zone. My short stories were initially inspired by no-one. I hadn't read many short stories - the ones I had, however, were from Edgar Allan Poe so I did my own kind of thing. What my short stories resemble are human emotion and decisions. 


Relationships are a huge part of life. Relationships between your parents, your pet and, of course, your love. I watched a film called Last Night a few weeks ago and not only is it a brilliant film, it says a lot about relationships and fidelity. 


A great quote: "Do you think you'll tell your husband about tonight?"
"I don't know, tonight's not over yet." 


The film follows the events of one night when a married couple are a part. Joanna bumps into an old flame and Michael, her husband, goes on a business trip with a woman he is attracted to and has already been accused of having an affair with. It's slow and gritty and there's enough material for you to think about the world and the history surrounding.

I sided with Joanna but I don't think you're supposed to side with anyone in this film as everyone has their part to blame in the events. The film is a question of love and fidelity and is a brilliant film on the subject. It's one of those pieces of art you think "why didn't I write this first?" 

If this were a novel you would think Raymond Carver had written it - it's dark and goes into realms that would make many people uncomfortable... but that's the brilliance of it. It tells us that love is not always enough and that relationships are very, very complicated and don't always end happily. 

No comments:

Post a Comment