Sunday 25 March 2012

Lewis' Injustice

Last night, while editing my children's story through watery blood-shot eyes and blasting Florence + the Machine in my ears to keep me awake, I found a book that I hadn't finished reading. I do that a lot - my book shelf is full of books with bits of paper sticking out of them, the half way mark I had gotten to and never continued with. The curse of doing any literature module is that you can't read the books you want to read but as the year is coming to an end I put aside my work and began reading this particular book. (Bad I know as I have a deadline on Wednesday.) The book was Howards End is on the Landing by Susan Hill, more a book about books - what could be better? 


In the book, Hill talks about C.S. Lewis, in fact she lists him among one of her heroes. I have to admit I felt a faint judder of revulsion as I read this. C.S. Lewis! A hero!


I was once a fan of Lewis' Narnia series - The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe being my favourite -but as I got older I saw what Lewis was doing and it angered me greatly. I guess what irks me the most is the blatant Christian references that almost become a retelling of the Bible itself. Sure, it's a cool idea - Jesus with a bit of sword and sorcery but don't disguise it, well, attempt to anyway. That disguise dropped, however, when he got rid of Susan. Susan who "was too interested in boys and lipstick than Narnia." OK Lewis - she grew up! So what? Can she not have an imagination as well?


Neil Gaiman wrote a great short story called The Problem of Susan which explores his own anger at this issue. 


I think my dislike for Lewis comes from the religious nature of his series. I have yet to read Pullman - but I will! Don't worry - and I know he has a lot of criticism for his religious themes but as I haven't read him yet I don't have an opinion. What I've read about Pullman, however, has been good and I respect him and think he is an important writer - especially in children's literature. Lewis, I feel, is overrated. 




No comments:

Post a Comment